Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Power of Words

Be intentional about your word choices. Words - the building blocks of thought - have power, and they can either serve us or sabotage us (or others).

Here is my very short list of words to eliminate from our vocabularies, along with suggested words to use instead.

Eliminate: can't, cannot
Replace with: I can

Eliminate: try
Replace with: I will, I intend

Eliminate: should
Replace with: I could, I want, I choose

Eliminate: always, never
Replace with: sometimes, often, frequently, rarely, usually, occasionally

Which word(s) might be holding you back?

Here is my challenge: Pick one of the above words-to-eliminate and remove it from your vocabulary for the next week. Substitute one of the suggested empowering words instead.

Watch what happens.


Note: This article is reproduced from Connie's LifeWork Letter, May 2006 issue. To subscribe to this complimentary monthly newsletter, and/or to view archived issues, click here.

No comments: