Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Letting Go Experiment: Month 5

I have now completed a little more than five months of my yearlong letting-go experiment. This month I have not been rigorous about letting go of one item or behavior each day, and there are empty spaces yet to be filled in my daily log.

However, I have noticed lately that some changes are taking place in my mental attitudes. For example: I sing in a choral group, and since August we have been preparing for a holiday concert that we finally presented last weekend. In the past, in rehearsals, I have been very concerned with getting the notes right, being on pitch, making all my entrances, not making any mistakes. As a result, I have been nervous and uptight, and rehearsals were, for me, exhausting and not much fun.

But this time, I let go of all that - the need to be right, the expectation of perfection. I just immersed myself in the music. I let myself go, diving into the singing with enthusiasm, holding nothing back. I was willing to go for it and make mistakes. The result? I sang better! I actually made fewer mistakes, and when I did make one, I just treated it as a learning experience and moved on quickly. I came home from rehearsals energized rather than drained. I experienced what it meant to make a "joyful noise".

I notice this internal or attitudinal "letting go" happening in other ways too. What I am learning from this experiment is that when you begin to let go of the clutter in your outer, material, life you also find yourself, almost without realizing it, letting go of your inner mental clutter as well.

*************************************************************************************
Although this Blog site is not set up to be interactive at this time, feel free to contact me with your comments.

Email: connie@conniekomack.com
Web: www.conniekomack.com

No comments: