Monday, May 14, 2007

Letting Go Experiment: Month 11

As of May 10th, I have completed 11 of the 12 months in my year-long Letting Go Experiment. The BIG 365-day milestone is coming into view. And although I may be about to cross the finish line on this particular marathon experiment, I doubt that it will really be over for me on June 10th, for I still have a lot of letting go to do.

In the 11th month, about a third of the 30 items to be released were unopened cans and jars from my pantry that went to a food drive. Another two lines on my daily log were taken by the first two pounds I lost on the Weight Watchers program a month ago.

Another line went to my giving up the use of a brand of deordorant/anti-perspirant which I have depended on for years. This was letting go of a long-standing habit, as well as a material item. This product is very strong and is highly effective, but contains aluminum. I have heard for years that deodorants/anti-perspirants containing aluminum are not healthy for us, but have refused to do anything about it. Finally, I listened, tossed out my "old faithful" brand and replaced it with a healthier non-toxic, though less effective, brand. I think this move is allowing my body to release some toxic waste via my lymph glands, and thereby helping to cleanse my body. Old habits die hard, but I can tell that releasing this one will be worth the struggle.

This month, I still have a significant number of backlog lines that have not been filled, which is another way of saying that I am behind on my letting go of material items. But I am not sweating this (note the pun, re the above), since there is a significant rummage sale coming up in June, and I will be gathering all sorts of items to donate to that event.

As with other recent months, the most significant letting-go experiences have been, and continue to be, in the non-material realm. The most significant one of these is the letting go of fear. This is a BIG topic, and will be covered in a future blog.

Another non-material letting-go occured yesterday, on Mother's Day. This was the day when I released any remaining negative feelings I may have been holding toward my own mother, who passed away on September 2nd, 2003. It was suggested on one of Oprah's shows last week that we do more than give or send cards to our mothers, but that we actually write letters - letters that detail our appreciation and gratitude for all they do, or have done, for us. Although my mother passed away four years ago, I decided to write her a letter. And on Mother's day, I did. In that letter, I finally was able to see and accept her as she really was - with all her gifts and flaws - and not as I wanted her to be. I was finally able to take responsibility for my share of whatever breakdown there was in our relationship, and to not only accept and appreciate her for who she was, but also to accept and appreciate who I am - and to forgive us both for disappointing each other. What a HUGE letting-go this has been!

So, how about you? What have you released from your life this past month? What would you like to release in the near future? How will you do it? What's stopping you, if anything? And how will you overcome any resistance you may be feeling?

Remember the Nike ad: Just DO It!

*******************************************************************
Although this Blog site is not set up to be interactive at this time, feel free to contact me with your comments.

Email: connie@conniekomack.com
Web: www.conniekomack.com

No comments: